The Grievance Process

The Union has a number of important functions, but the two most important are negotiating the Collective Bargaining Contract (CBA) and enforcing it. In enforcing the CBA, the Union has the role of protecting the rights of the members of the bargaining unit under its provisions.  The grievance process is a check and balance for the faculty against administrative arbitrariness.

What is a Grievance?

A grievance is a complaint, claim, or dispute arising under the current collective bargaining agreement. Grievances are limited to matters of interpretation or application of provisions of the contract, except for a few provisions within the contract that are specifically excluded from the grievance procedure.

What should I do if I think I have a grievance?

Contact UConn-AAUP immediately via email ( or phone (860) 487-0450. You may also visit our office at 1875 Storrs Road.


What happens if I have a grievance?

First, we try to settle the matter informally with a conversation between the AAUP, the member, and the appropriate member of the Administration. Often times AAUP seeks to resolve issues at the lowest level possible. If that fails, we assemble the grievance committee to assist in determining if a formal grievance should be filed. If so, a formal letter will be written to the Administration and a timeline defined within the grievance process in our contract begins. It is important to contact the AAUP as soon as possible to determine if a grievance has occurred.