In this Issue:
- UConn-AAUP Agrees to Mandatory Vaccination Agreement/Policy
- UConn-AAUP Member Wellness Initiative (Extension)
Mandatory Vaccination Policy
On Friday, August 13, 2021, UConn-AAUP and UCPEA finalized a mandatory vaccination agreement with Interim President Agwunobi for all faculty and staff at the Storrs and Regional Campus. Today, the University announced the new policy derived from that agreement. We believe this agreement, along with the mandatory vaccination of students, provides the best opportunity to keep the University community healthy and to fight back this latest surge of the Delta variant. (An agreement was also reached with UCHC-AAUP and UHP at the health center.) Our memorandum of agreement (MOA) can be found here.
The agreement, in part, requires the following:
- Faculty and staff, whether working on-campus or remotely, to be fully vaccinated by October 30, 2021;
- Application for a medical exemption or deferral of vaccination submitted by September 1, 2021;
- Proof of vaccination provided or first dose administered by September 10, 2021;
- Weekly testing protocol for all exemptions and deferrals.
Please follow this link to the UConn-AAUP COVID-19 Resource page for more information.
UConn-AAUP Member Wellness Initiative
Update: We have received a significant response to our member Wellness Initiative program. To ensure that we do not miss anyone who may have been traveling last week, we are extending the deadline for submitting a form to Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 5:00 pm.
The COVID pandemic has taken its toll on higher education. A number of our members have experienced personal and professional challenges that have negatively affected their well-being. Individuals who have been at UConn for only a few years may be particularly impacted, due to complications with the PTR process, additional family responsibilities, and a potentially smaller support network.
The UConn-AAUP wants to support faculty during this difficult time through a Member Wellness Initiative. As one element of this initiative, we are sponsoring a three-month support & resources group in Fall 2021. The goal of the group will be to provide:
- a) Peer support and connection;
- b) Information on relevant pragmatic resources (e.g., stopping the tenure clock); and
- c) Instruction in evidence-based tools for emotional wellness (e.g., mindfulness, relaxation techniques challenging self-doubt or perfectionism).
Our current plan is to have the group meet between September through December once a week for about one hour. Interested AAUP members should complete the brief form here by August 13, 2021. These forms ask about your fall schedule and priority topics/concerns. We will follow up with additional information in mid/late August. Filling out the form does not obligate you to participate.
|Mary Ellen Junda, President
|Jeffrey Ogbar, Executive Vice President
|Michael Bailey, Executive Director
“Follow” us on Twitter: @UConnAAUP
“Like” Us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uconnaaup
UConn-AAUP Website: http://www.uconnaaup.org/AAUP