UConn-AAUP Update: July 19, 2021
On Saturday evening, July 17, 2021, President Agwunobi signed the agreement extending the expired 2017-2021 collective bargaining agreement (contract) for up to (1) one year. As indicated in the Updates over the past month, this was a particularly difficult negotiation with the administration holding this agreement hostage as they pressed for a way to petition the Labor Board to remove members from the bargaining unit.
Now that we have last year’s contract extended, where do we stand?
- The extension agreement is only good for (1) year or until a new contract is negotiated and ratified by the parties and the legislature.
- Negotiations will continue during the remaining summer months and then return to full time in the fall. We are hoping to wrap up the negotiations before the Spring legislative session.
- The extension agreement does not contain a general wage increase (GWI). Wages will remain the same as last year during this extension agreement.
- The extension agreement does not contain a merit increase due to the fact that the GWI creates the pools of money for merit.
- Professional Development money is included in the extension agreement.
- Child Care reimbursement is included in the extension agreement.
- Tuition Reimbursement is included in the extension agreement.
- Provost Fund money is included in the extension agreement.
- Promotional increases are included in the extension agreement.
- All other terms and condition of employment contained in the 2021 contract are extended with this agreement.
We would like to acknowledge the members of the bargaining unit that attended the BOT meetings, wrote emails, tweets, Facebook posts and letters about the delayed contract extension. You made a difference to the administration, but more importantly, you encouraged our negotiating team to hold firm on our position, which ultimately prevailed.
“Follow” us on Twitter: @UConnAAUP
“Like” Us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uconnaaup
UConn-AAUP Website: http://www.uconnaaup.org/
UConn-AAUP Negotiating Team
|Mary Ellen Junda, President|
|Jeffrey Ogbar, Executive Vice President|
|Michael Bailey, Executive Director|